The History of Luverne Public Schools

Philo Hawes's Home School
In the winter of 1868-69, 6 students were taught in the home of Philo Hawes. This was the beginning of public education in Luverne.

Blacksmith School
The first public school was conducted in 1870-71 in a sod blacksmith shop on a farm one mile east of the town.

1st School District
On February 16, 1871, District No. 2, the Luverne School District, was formed.

Warren Street School
In 1872 lumber was hauled in from Worthington, and an official school was built on Warren Street. The first term in this new school commenced in April 1873 with 25 students in attendance. The building was two stories tall and was 22x38 feet in size. The upstairs was not used for school so it was leased to the county for offices. A party of grain haulers camped in the building over night and it is believed that they were responsible for a fire which destroyed the building.

Main Street School
Another school was built on Main Street to replace the building that was destroyed by fire. It was located between Cedar and McKenzie streets. Before it was even completed it was judged to be to small. School was held in church basements and any other available buildings to help the growing student population.

Central Building
In 1883 school was held in a brand new school on Luverne Street. Within 3 years it also was to small and an addition was needed to make it bigger. This school building was called Central School.


(First Central High School)

When the Central School was not considered good for classes, they lifted it, and moved it to the east side of the block in which it was located. On the former location of Central School, they built a new school. Classes in this school began in September, 1926. This building is standing today and houses apartments.


(Second Central School, Former Elementary School,
and Present site of City Centre Apartments)

Fledgling Field School
In November, 1895, another school was built on what is called Fledgling Field. This school was built out of the rock from the local quarry at Blue Mound.

Present High School
In November, 1895, another school was built on what is called Fledgling Field. This school was built out of the rock from the local quarry at Blue Mound.


Present Elementary School
On December 1, 1998 classes began in the new elementary addition, which was added on to west of the current middle and high school building. This is the first elementary building to be built in the Luverne School District. Before when the high school moved into a new school the old building was used for elementary classes. Now all classes are located on one school campus.

This page is maintained by the staff and students of Luverne Public Schools.
If you would like to leave feedback or suggestions, please do so by email.